JOHN FRANCIS McCORMACK, TENOR (1884 - 1945)
COMPLETE DISCOGRAPHY, 1904 - 1942
- This discography is based on the data presented in the book John McCormack
- A Comprehensive Discography (JMACD), compiled by Paul Worth and Jim
Cartwright, and published in 1986 (Greenwood Press). It has been recast somewhat
for presentation in this format. (The typescript of the book was produced
on two electric typewriters.) Significant new data has been added, and some
fairly egregious errors have been corrected. There are undoubtedly more, and
comments, corrections, and admonishments are welcome.
- The work published in 1986 was founded on earlier discographic efforts by
Philip Roden, Leonard F.X. McDermott Roe, James Sheehan, and Robert Webster.
Many others helped Jim
and Paul in their efforts to present the McCormack discography systematically,
completely, and correctly. Thus, what is presented here is a group effort
that is ongoing.
- McCormack's recordings may be logically divided into groups according to
several perspectives. The one adopted on this website differs somewhat from
the one in JMACD. A strict chronological approach has been mitigated by separating
out film and broadcast recordings and by subdividing the 1904-1906 recordings.
Some exploration of the various sections below will make the exact chronological
- The various sections below are under active revision, and therefore will
be updated from time to time. For example, not all typographical errors have
been purged, and many CD reissues have not yet been added to the chronological
sections. There is less emphasis on LP/microgroove reissues in this version,
but all this data will eventually be included on this website.
- The editors are especially interested in hearing of CD reissues, because
there are many that have been missed. It is particularly easy to overlook
isolated McCormack matrices in anthologies.
- Interested McCormack fans and collectors with comments are invited to contact
the website editors via Email or snailmail.
LP and CD REISSUES
Compact Disc Reissues
Not active yet:
Opera and Oratorio
English, American, and Other Art Songs
Recordings with Fritz Kreisler, Violin
Songs of Thomas Moore
Songs of Sentiment, Ballads, "Heart" Songs, Etc.
Religious Songs and Hymns
American Popular Songs
The above groups are not mutually exclusive, nor do they
encompass the entire McCormack recorded canon.
Back to the McCormack Home Page
Biography Index Page